Surface Preparation Guide for Plascon Multiseal
- All surfaces must be clean, firm and dry before painting.
- Particular care must be taken in cleaning galvanised, recessed and rusted areas.
- Steel and galvanised surfaces must be primed before application of MULTISEAL.
Galvanised and steel substrates:
- Remove any loose and flaking paint by scraping, sanding, etc.
- Degrease all surfaces with PLASCON AQUASOLV DEGREASER (GR 1) to remove all traces of grease, oil, tar, saline deposits and any other contaminants. Rinse thoroughly with fresh water. Allow to dry.
- Sand paint thoroughly with fine paper to create a key.
- Remove dust by vacuum cleaning or other suitable means before application.
- Remove all rust back to bright metal by sanding, etc. Remove dust. Spot prime bare steel or galvanised steel with PLASCOSAFE 18 PRIMER. Allow to dry for a minimum of 1 hour before overcoating with MULTISEAL.
- If rust cannot be removed completely, remove all loose rust to a firm substrate. Remove dust.
- Apply a liberal coat of PLASCON RUST REMOVER where firm rust remains. IMPORTANT NOTE: A rust converter/remover should only be used on mild steel and should not be used on galvanized steel.