Surface Preparation Guide for Plascon Roofseal
Ensure that surfaces are dry, free from dirt, grease and oil and loose and flaking paint. Remove any fungi and algae with household bleach (3,5 % sodium hypochlorite solution) and rinse thoroughly with water.
1. Porous Cement Plaster, Concrete, Fibre-Cement & Other Masonry Surfaces:
Open any cracks (other than hairline cracks) into a V-shape and remove dust. Apply one coat of PLASCON PLASTER PRIMER (UC 56). Fill cracks and other defects with MENDALL 90 ALL PURPOSE ADHESIVE FILLER.
2. Cement Roof Tiles:
Remove loose and flaking material back to a sound substrate. No further
3. New or Weathered Galvanised Iron:
- Clean with GALVANISED IRON CLEANER and rinse thoroughly with water to achieve a water break-free surface. Remove any red rust with scouring pads or sanding back to bright metal.
- Spot prime areas where rust has been removed with PLASCOSAFE 18 PRIMER – see Product Data Sheet for application details.
- Prime the entire surface with PLASCOSAFE 18 PRIMER (EMS 18) or GALVANISED IRON PRIMER.
4. Mild Steel:
- Degrease with AQUASOLV DEGREASER and rinse thoroughly with water.
- Remove any rust by coarse sanding, mechanical grinding or with RUST REMOVER.
- Prime surfaces with MULTI-SURFACE PRIMER. N.B.: Millscale must be removed by abrasive blasting or mechanical grinding before coating.
5. Previously Painted Surfaces in Good Condition:
- Remove any loose and flaking paint, clean and spot prime bare areas with the appropriate primer.
- Clean paintwork with POLYCELL SUGAR SOAP POWDER CLEANER and rinse thoroughly.
- Alternatively, clean with high pressure water jet. Sand glossy paint areas to a matt finish.